Are you wondering how to clean guinea pig ears? Here is a step by step guide on how to go about it.
One of the essential grooming activities for a guinea pig is cleaning its ears.
Just like our ears, guinea pigs ears collect wax which if not checked over some time, it can build up. A buildup ear wax is a hive for parasites and bacteria which can lead to guinea pig ear-infection problems (head tilt).
Apart from an ear infection, guinea pig ear wax accumulation can block your piggy’s hearing which can cause itchiness and the stress of scratching the ear while trying to unblock it.
Probably ear cleaning is not one of the coolest things to do, and you tend to ignore it hoping it is not going to be a serious issue.
After going through this guide, you will learn it is not that bad. You will also determine the seriousness of leaving your piggy’s ears unchecked and unclean. Read on to find out.
- How Often Should You Clean Your Guinea Pig Ears
- Guinea Pig Ear Cleaning Instructions – A Step by Step Guide
How Often Should You Clean Your Guinea Pig Ears
Wax accumulation differs with different types of guinea pigs. Take, for instance, a long-haired cavy gets wax buildup quicker than its opposite short-haired guinea pig.
However, as you know, there are some other grooming activities are which are equally crucial to your guinea pig. It is advisable to combine them with ear cleaning to avoid having many times of handling your pet as such as possible to prevent causing stress.
It is therefore essential if you would clean guinea pig ears the same day you are grooming it such as brushing its fur or trimming its nails. It can be done twice in a month or say once in every two weeks.
That way, you will save your piggy another stressful day for only ear cleaning.
Essential Tools for Guinea Pig Ear Cleaning Process
- A blanket or a towel
- Cotton swabs
- Cotton Earbuds
- Ear cleaning solution
Guinea Pig Ear Cleaning Instructions – A Step by Step Guide
- First, get to work in a position you are most comfortable. If you are not comfortable it can affect both your piggy and you leaving you stressed up
If you choose to lay you guinea pig on the table, then you need to spread the blanket or the towel on the table.
You might prefer having your pet on your lap, in that case then, spread the towel or blanket on your lap.
If you prefer working on your lap, then you should get your guinea pig from the cage first before you spread the towel. Otherwise, you can ask somebody to assist you to spread the towel on your lap.
One thing you need to remember before you begin this exercise is that all ears, in general, are susceptible. In this case, you need to be extra careful when cleaning the ears and therefore in a comfortable position.
- You have already placed the towel on the best place of your choice.
Some pets cannot hold still because of fretting, or it’s their nature. If your pet is that kind then you need to wrap it with the towel or the blanket whichever you are working on.
Wrapping it will help you to keep it still and avoid risking ear injury when cleaning it.
- Using the cotton swab, moisten it by dipping it in your ear solution at the tip.
Try using New All Natural Pet Ear Cleaner
Wipe the outside surface of one ear gently carefully checking if there are any scratches which can sting or need some special care. You will clean all around the outer ear before working on the wax in the inside of the ear.
Once you have completed the outer ear, you can now get to the inner part.
- Dip an earbud in the solution and being careful not to prod inside the ear too far wipe the ear with outward strokes.
If you encounter a sticky buildup wax, this is where you need an effective and yet safe ear cleaning solution.
Since you are using New All Natural Pet Ear Cleaner which contains eucalyptus extracts, it will loosen the wax for easy removal. It also removes the black gunk in guinea pigs ears, grease, and other debris if any.
- Until you are satisfied that the ear is clean, that is when you can move to the other ear. Otherwise, continue cleaning using clean swabs and earbuds each time until you are sure the ear as a whole is clean.
- If the ear wax buildup is extreme and beyond your ability to clean it, you may call in your vet who can remove it in a more professional way without causing harm to the ear.
- Continue to the next ear using the same method and steps.
- Since it is not a pleasant exercise for you and also for your cavy pet, you will need to reward your pet when the exercise is over.
Give your pet the best treatment of its favorite treat or toy or even both. Next ear-cleaning time might not be such an ordeal as the first time.
As you continue rewarding, the exercise will keep getting better and better.
Try out Kaytee Timothy Biscuits Baked Apple Treat or Ware Manufacturing Rice Pops for a treat or even Kaytee Nut Knot Nibble for a toy. It can never be any better.
It is essential to examine your piggy’s ears now and then for bacterial infection, wax buildup, and parasites such as ear mites.
If you notice guinea pig ears crusty matter that is in a red/brownish color, the ear is hot to touch, or it has a foul smell, then, you should know that it is a vet’s matter.
Don’t hesitate to consult for early diagnosis and treatment.
The vet might prescribe guinea pig ear drops, antibiotics, or any other medication best for these guinea pig ear problems.